Bilingual Office Manager (Portuguese)
Full time, indefinite
Alejandra Bravo is the City Councillor for Ward 9 - Davenport. Our diverse downtown community is home to more than 105,000 residents and over a dozen different neighbourhoods. Our staff team is committed to delivering the best possible service to Davenport residents, including residents of the Portuguese community, while advocating for a more equitable and just city for all.
We are an energetic, collaborative team that is looking for someone who is passionate about building community in Davenport. In this role, you will oversee and coordinate the day-to-day operations of the Councillor’s City Hall office, while also connecting with our Portuguese constituents and local organizations. We’re looking for someone who is fluent in both Portuguese and English, with excellent organizational and time management skills to coordinate a busy and robust work environment. These skills should be coupled with an inclusive approach to building relationships and providing exemplary service to Davenport residents and community members.
Our team operates on a hybrid work approach, which gives staff a mix of both in-office and virtual work-from-home days. Occasional evenings and weekend support may be required. This position reports directly to the Chief of Staff, and works collaboratively with the staff team to ensure organizational flow and communication.
The main responsibilities of the Bilingual Office Manager include:
- Overseeing the administrative responsibilities in the Councillor’s office at City Hall, including implementation and management of:
- Office administration set-up and layout
- Answering telephone inquiries and responding to voicemail
- Maintenance of office supplies and office equipment
- Overseeing and ensuring the accuracy of a filing and data management systems, and
- Managing the Councillor’s contacts list and assisting with correspondence.
- Managing the Councillor’s schedule and calendar, including scheduling meetings and appointments, responding to invitations and requests, and ensuring that the Councillor has necessary information and material for each meeting and/or event.
- Reviewing and distribution of incoming mail, e-mails and telephone inquiries to appropriate staff member(s).
- Assisting the Councillor and Councillor’s staff in handling inquiries, concerns, and complaints from constituents and the public. Gathers information and liaises with City staff on issues of concern to constituents.
- Acting as the primary liaison for the Councillor’s Office with Portuguese organizations and constituents located in Davenport, including drafting correspondence, responding to phone inquiries, and translating written materials from English to Portuguese.
- Assisting in organizing and publicizing community meetings. May attend public meetings on behalf of the Councillor to record concerns and inquiries in order to report back to the Councillor and Chief of Staff.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times on the internal workings of the office and the Councillor in relation to issues, campaigns, and constituency issues. Oversees and implements a process to secure private and personal information.
- Preparing plaques and letters of commendation for special events.
- Ensuring accurate records are maintained and following up on requests and inquiries made by the Councillor to City staff.
- Assisting the Chief of Staff in monitoring the Councillor’s office budget and confirming that expenditures are maintained within approved limits. Processes invoices and orders office supplies as required.
- Assists in processing of timesheets, paperwork, and other HR materials for employees.
- Undertakes special assignments as requested by the Chief of Staff.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Fluency in both English and Portuguese (oral and written) is a requirement for this role.
- College diploma or university degree in a related field and/or five years’ of experience in administration, office coordination, project management, executive administration support, or another related field.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate positively with colleagues, City of Toronto Staff, constituents, and local organizations, while maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills and time management skills.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment and meet shifting deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills, including a high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, and familiarity using online conferencing platforms.
- A demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-oppression concepts and issues, and a commitment to applying a social justice and equity lens to city issues.
- Previous experience working in social services, community organizing, counselling, or community support is an asset.
- Previous experience in professional communications or marketing is an asset.
- Familiarity managing budgets, processing invoices, and/or reviewing financial information is an asset.
- Knowledge of City of Toronto divisions, services, and constituency reporting processes is an asset.
$65,000 – $70,000 per year, including a comprehensive health benefits package, and three weeks paid vacation.
Hours & Location
The position will be based out of Toronto City Hall, located at 100 Queen Street West.
The position is an indefinite term, full-time role.
Please send a cover letter & resume to Wyndham Bettencourt-McCarthy, Chief of Staff at [email protected].
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning immediately. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.